Judge Georqe E. Prince House
The Assembly Church of Anderson
918 West Whitner Street, Anderson, SC
December 4 1983
Architect or Builder:
Brick Piers with Fill
Signficant Architectural Features:
Irregular plan two-story weatherboard siding, hip roof with brackets: symmetrical tripartite facade; central entry with double doors with round arch glass panels, sidelites, transom lite; tall paired windows with 1/1 sash; projecting bay at left with small bracketed gable with return; single-story porch with low hip roof supported by square posts with elongated brackets and plain frieze with small scroll modillions, balustrade with turned balusters, spans entry and right bay; small gable with brackets and return at right side; small porch similar to front at right side; two single story sections at rear and shed roof porch; left side similar to right except porch enclosed; exterior bathroom with shed roof at rear. Single corbeled chimney; 3/1 sash windows in ell at rear. OUTBUILDINGS: Rectangular concrete-block meeting house under construction
Internal chimney removed; porch at left enclosed with beaded siding and aluminum frame windows; interior gutted.
Home of Georqe Prince (1855-?), member of SC House, 1895 Constitutional Convention, Circuit Court Judge & is credited with the development of Anderson's public school system.
Source of Historical Information:
Anderson - City - West Whitner Street - West Market Street, 1983-1984
Box 14, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014