Appleby Department Store Inc.
N. Main Street at W. Bav Street, Allendale
Signficant Architectural Features:
2 story brick commercial building, rectangular In dan. with fiat roof. 1 common wall. Front: asymmetrical; ground floor left and right sides are different - left side features a narrow cornice with decorative brickwork above the present sign and double doors with 3 lights in each flanked by vertical plate glass display windows, right side has a recessed entry with double doors with 3 lights in each flanked by large display windows; 2nd floor windows have plain lintels and are rectangular, double-hung sash - the 3 windows on the left are 6/6, the three on the right are 2/9 lights. NE side: no window or door openings on the ground floor; segmental arched window openings on the second floor. OUTBUILDINGS:
altered - The original design included a canopy over the sidewalk and a screened porch on the second floor.
Built by or for Henry Wolff ca. 1901. the ground floor of this building was used as a store and the upstairs served as a residence for Henry Wolff and his wife when they were first married, and later as the home of Mrs. Wolff's brother and his wife. In later years, the upstairs was rented to the telephone company and used as the phone exchange. After Henry Wolff's death in 1914, Ray P. Wolff managed the business until she died ca. 1936. Sam Wengrow continued the business until the 1960's.
Source of Historical Information:
Sanborn Maps of Allendale - 1910. 1922.;Henry Ray Wengrow. Kohn, McMurrv & Wengrow, Columbia, S .C.
City of Allendale, 1979-1980
Box 13, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014