Beech Island Presbyterian Church
All Saints Episcopal Church
US 278 at its intersection with S-2-58O, North Augusta, SC
Signficant Architectural Features:
1-story wood frame building, rectangular in plan, with medium gable roof and boxed cornice. The front of the building is faced with flush board siding, the sides with weatherboard. Front: symmetrical, ABA; central entry with double leaf paneled doors is framed by pilasters and is flanked on either side by a window; a prominent feature of the front elevation is its pedimented portico with Tuscan columns. Windows are double-hung sash, 12/12 lights, with louvered shutters and semicircular-arched transoms. Interior appears to have undergone no major changes. Walls, floors, and the elliptical ceiling are wood'. Pews are possibly original. OUTBUILDINGS:
Appears to have undergone only minor changes.
"This church was built in 1836 by Beech Island Presbyterian Church, organized in 1827pith the Rev. Nathan H. Hoyt of Vermont as first pastor. His son-in-law the Rev. Edward Axson, was ordained and served here. His daughter, Ellen, wife of Woodrow Wilson, was baptized here. In 1950 the building was consecrated as All Saints Episcopal Church." S.C. Historical Marker erected by All Saints Episcopal Church in 1967.
Source of Historical Information:
S.C. Historical Marker; Protestant Episcopal Church in S.C.; "Beech Island church has long history" by Jackie Bartley in The Augusta Chronicle (Augusta, Ga.), Oct. 3, 1980, p. 4B. Guy R. Hurlbutt (see INFORMANT) cites as a reference a tract written by Dr. Hoyt, "History of a Church in the South," a copy of which is in the historic archives of the Presbyterians, in their Historic Foundation, Montreat, North Carolina.;Guy R. Hurlbutt, Route 4, North Augusta, SIC. (March 1, 1971)
Box 11, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014