Ridgley Hall

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
Street Address:
north side of Berrie Road, Aiken, SC

Site Number:
Site Number:
2-10- 68 (71)
Date Surveyed:
August 24 1982
Historic Use:
Current Use:
Architect or Builder:
Julian Peabody (acc. to DKMW)
Construction Method:
Roof Materials:
Signficant Architectural Features:
2 1/2 story house constructed of red brick laid on Flemish bond. Mansard roof and 4 chimneys can be seen from the drive to the house. windows on 1st two floors are double hung, 6/6 (jack arches over window) Dormers contain French windows (which have segimental arched roofs) - Houseis not symmetrical. One-story porch at east end of house has been enclosed (Ionic columns still remain. One-story wing on west side (for service entrance, etc.) has a flat roof. Central pavillion (tunnelof house projects slightly, features pediment with trophy-like thongs, contains a circular window. Central entrance - single paneled door, fanlight. Small potTch, broken bed pediment supported bytinfluted Ionic columns. OUTBUILDINGS: 2 story servants cottage (frame
Historical Information:
Smith, p6-7 (discussing early winter residents of Aiken, ca. 1898). Before his death, Augustus P. Gardner of Pride's Crossing, lived for many years in the big house next to 'Calico Cottage'. This home was later purchased by Winthrop Rutherfurd of Allamucky, New Jersey, and when the old house burned down he erected on its foundation the stately fireproof mansion called 'Ridgley Hall'
Source of Historical Information:
Smith, H.W. Life and Sport in Aiken, wood, DKM, "Ridgeley Hall" Aiken *b;Jane Davis, 432 Berrie Road, Aiken, S. C. 29801
Aiken - City - Winter Colony Historic Districts Survey, 1982
Archives Location:
Box 11, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014

Related place
Aiken County