106 DuPont Dr
February 26 2003
1919 – 1924
Historic Core Shape:
Architect or Builder:
Minnie Quinn Gassaway
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
gable, end to front
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
highly eclectic composition; 2-story Classical Revival stone building fronts a Medieval stone keep; stone from Vardry McBee mill; gable roof w/hip roof wings; slate; arched dormers on sides; pedimented portico on 4 monumental Tuscan columns; denticulated cornice and modillions; single-leaf entry w/Classical surround and fanlight flanked by tall 3-part multi-light windows under fanlight; balcony w/turned balusters above entry; 6/6 (arched openings on 1st floor); 3-story crenellated tower rises from middle of building; projecting 1-story wings w/open arcades and crenellated parapets; flat roof dormers(?) shletered by pergolas; detached1 1/2-story, 3-bay, stone garage; detached modern 2-story brick and glass building (part of art museum?)
Minnie Quinn Gassaway, former proprietor of the Ottaray Hotel, married textile baron Walter L. Gassaway and designed their eclectic estate. Mrs. Gassaway took correspondence course in architecture and combined her favorite historic themes in the building, which was constructed for $150,000 and was built of stone from Vardry McBee's cotton mill. Later house was used for city's first art museum.
Source of Historical Information:
NR nomination. Wells & Dalton 1992, p. 55.