Bethlehem Lutheran Church
New Hope Road, Newberry, SC, W side, approx. 1/4 mi. N of int. w/ Hwy 176
June 18 2003
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
gable, end to front
National Register Determination:
An addition has been placed on the rear façade.
Bethlehem Lutheran was the third Lutheran church established in the county. The congregation first met at Wicker's Camp Ground in 1784 and erected a small log structure. The first sanctuary building for Bethlehem Church was constructed in 1816 under the direction of its first pastor, Reverend Godfrey Dreher. This church was the site of two meeting of the Lutheran Synod: 1855 and 1863. The present church building was constructed in 1881 and remodeled in 1942. The education building was erected in 1936 and the new parish building in 1962.
Source of Historical Information:
Pope, Thomas. The History of Newberry County, South Carolina Vol. 1. Columbia; University of South Carolina Press, 1973. pp 80.
Pope, Thomas. The History of Newberry County, South Carolina Vol. 2 1860-1990. Columbia; University of South Carolina Press, 1992. pp 295.