"Piggly Wiggly" and "Mitchell"
"Piggly Wiggly" and "Mitchell'
105, 101, and 103 N Main St
October 23 2001
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
Signficant Architectural Features:
Art Moderne commercial building with flat smooth façade of "roman bricks" and plate glass. 30 ' High angled pylon in center of building topped with a 4' in diameter "Piggly Wiggly" illuminated disc. Building houses three storefronts. Supermarket, office and supply store. Rear wall is concrete block, and brick stuccoed South elevation.
Built in vacant lot in 1957 by Ed Kelly, it is considered to be the supermarket chain's smallest store. Store opened on July 11, 1957. The supermarket chain began in 1916 in Memphis as the nation's 1st self-service grocery store. The Bethune franchise was first operated by the Bass family and Delton Jones. It featured "traditional" piggly wiggly interior fixtures and equipment furnished by the company. Owned and currently operated by the Carroll Jones Family. The office space on the southern end of the building used to be the post office.
Source of Historical Information:
The Turnstile (Vol.XXXII), No 15, 1957. Mr. Carroll Jones, owner.