Bank of Bethune
Sand Hills Bank
137 N Main St
October 23 2001
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
Signficant Architectural Features:
Brick commercial with parapet; entry level renovated; two bays with narrow windows on second story set in recessed panels with stepped brickwork. Panel area for signage extends across façade.
Brick veneer in first story façade. Recessed enty with steel frame doors and tinted glass. Glass panels and transom. Replacement windows on second story. Large stuccoed addition on rear; with porte cochere. Molding under eaves on addition.
Sand Hill Bank (previously Bank of Bethune) is notable because it is one of South Carolina's last independently owned financial institutions. Emily Best, president from 1980 to the present, is the state's first woman bank president. In the 1990s, the bank boasted an all woman staff. Bank first opened as the Bethune Branch of the 1st National Bank of Camden in 1955. Acquired by S.C. National Bank then in 1959 it was purchased by local individuals and became Bank of Bethune. Remodeling in 1974 completed when banking services were automated.
Source of Historical Information:
Vertical folder, Bethune Public Library