Cool Springs, house
726 Kershaw Hwy
January 18 2002
Historic Core Shape:
Architect or Builder:
Rueben Hamilton - 1850s remodelling (possibly)
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
facade and both elevations
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
Greek Revival, central hall, double-pile plan. 64 fluted doric columns. Two-tiered portico. Transom and sidelights on front door. Four chimneys. 1st floor 16' ceilings. Windows to floor level on first floor - 9/9. Beaded board ceilings in porch. Stables date from the 1940s.
In the 1850s, exterior chimneys and tiered portico added. Two-story kitchen in rear dates from 1920s. Some columns removed in early 20th century. Second-story entrance altered c.1935.
Constructed c.1832 as a summer residence for John Boykin, a planter and lawyer. James B. Cureton resided there 1850-1895. Used in early 1900s as a tourist house.
Source of Historical Information:
NRHP nomination. Dr. Blaylock and Dr. Bonner