Old Armory, Maintenance Building
206 Armory St., Batesburg, SC
Old Batesburg Armory Site Card
October 11 2000
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
Corrugated asbestos sprayed with foam
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
Four large vehicle bay doors, all windows are two-over-two metal casement with a six-over-six metal overlay. Six windows on north elevation, nine on rear elevation (W), and two windows on south elevation. Brick chimney stack.
Non-permanent wooden lean-to on south elevation, foam material sprayed on roof to seal leaks.
Federal recognition date for unit at Batesburg was 6 March 1947, Company L218th Infantry Regiment, 51st Infantry Division. Captain Joseph Shealy acquired five acres of land from Mr. C.E. Jones, where a brick garage building was built in 1949. This building was used until the present armory was completed in 1962.
Source of Historical Information:
History Overview from Unit History File, located on-site at Batesburg Armory.