Sandy Springs; Ebenezer
Sandy Springs United Methodist Church
NE corner of int. of Blackman Rd. and Millwee Creek Rd.;(Anderson County)
March 6 2002
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
Brick Piers with Fill
gable, end to front
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
The church has sixteen over sixteen windows, a bay on the south façade containing stained glass windows, and two entry doors on the main façade, each with a three-light transom.
The brick pier foundation has been filled with brick and the windows have been covered with metal slats.
"This Church was erected in 1868, and has been standing one hundred thirty years and is the same as original plan, except a few small alterations. The pulpit was moved into an alcove in 1900. The pews were hand made in 1871 by church members, B.L. Blackmon and J. Blackmon. White pine plank, used in the pews was donated by members of the church from the original forest pines found on their farms.
The pews were made from a pattern selected by a committee after they had visited other churches before making a final selection on the one to be used. The seats are made from three timbers. The wides used for the back which is 16 inches in width. The pews are now in excellent condition, having been in use since 1871. They were refinished in natural color and shape in 1964. The chancel railing and altar were also made with extra wood from the pews. (continued)
Source of Historical Information:
"Sandy Springs United Methodist Church: Church History," http://gbgmchurches.gbgm-umc.org/ssprings/history.htm, accessed 30 July 2002.