Bloody Point Light, Oil House

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
Silver Dew Winery
Street Address:
Island Beach Rd.;(Beaufort County)

Site Number:
523-499.01
Control Number:
U/13/523-499.01
Tax Number:
R800 027 000 008F 0000
Date Surveyed:
September 17 1997
Category:
Building
Construction Date:
circa 1882
Historic Use:
Residential/Domestic
Current Use:
Vacant/Not In Use
Historic Core Shape:
Rectangular
Number of Stories:
1
Construction Method:
masonry
Exterior Walls Materials:
Brick
Foundation Materials:
Slab Construction
Roof Shape:
gable (end to front)
Roof Materials:
V crimp metal
Signficant Architectural Features:
Well-crafted fireproof structure of brick laid in Flemish bond with segmental-arched openings with flat lintels; interior retains scored stucco finish.
Historical Information:
Fireproof structure for storage of fuel oil used to generate electricity to power the lights. In 1953 Addie and Arthur Burn (he was the son of a former lighthouse keeper) began making wine and storing it in the oil house. They called the operation Silv
Source of Historical Information:
"Daufuskie Island Historic District" National Register nomination. Billie Burn, An Island Called Daufuskie, p. 219.
Quadrangle Name:
Tybee Island North