Beaufort Arsenal

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
Beaufort Museum; Bft. Volunteer Artillery
Street Address:
713 Craven St.;(Beaufort County)

Site Number:
Control Number:
Tax Number:
R120 004 000 0819 0000
Date Surveyed:
July 22 1997
Construction Date:
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Construction Method:
masonry tabby
Roof Shape:
National Register Determination:
contributes to listed district
Signficant Architectural Features:
13 bay crenelated main block with flat roof and lancet windows part raised on arcade south. Single story wings extend at right angles SE and SW. Wings are linked by high brick wall with arched central doorway, the wall and wings defining a courtyard whi
Early form altered in 1852 when main block (then incorporating 7 bays) erected on arcade between two single story tabby structures which formerly had been linked by a gun shed. The mid 19th. century main block was later extended east and west over earlie
Historical Information:
Construction of the Beaufort Arsenal was begun in 1795 and completed by 1799. The authorization by the state legislature in 1795 stated: "And be it further enacted, that General Barnwell, Thomas Grayson, and Ralph Elliott, be, and they are hereby appoint
Source of Historical Information:
See also WPA Guide to Early American Homes. "The Arsenal," Bessie Hookstra, Historic Beaufort Foundation historic sites survey files.
Quadrangle Name: