Poe Hardware and Supply Company

National Register Listing
Street Address:
556 Perry Avenue, Greenville, SC (Greenville County)
Alternate Name:
Poe Corporation;Poe West

NRHP Nomination

Record Number:
S10817723090
Description and Narrative:
The Poe Hardware and Supply Company complex in Greenville is locally significant for the company’s involvement in the city’s post-World War II industrial boom. Originally founded as Poe Hardware & Supply, the company maintained a nearly century-long history in the area and blossomed from its humble origins as a purveyor of agricultural tools and equipment to become a nationally known corporation capable of supplying materials to the federal government during World War II. The war was the turning point in the company’s history as they went from hometown retailer to national-level wholesaler. The company designed offices and warehouses to not only hold their expanding company but also demonstrate their success. The nominated property is located at 556 Perry Ave in Greenville and consists of three buildings: a 1946 office building with substantial 1961 additions and alterations, and two 1946 warehouses that were connected and added on to through the 1970s. A series of additions during the 1970s and 1980s effectively joined the two warehouses together and expanded them to the east. The original 1946 warehouses have a heavy, wood roof structure and exposed wood ceilings with metal support columns. The 1961 office addition is in a refined mid-century modern style and cemented their expression of success through their building design. The period of significance is from 1946 when the complex was constructed, to 1961, which is when changes to the office building on the site were completed. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places May 14, 2021.
Period of Significance:
1946 – 1961
Level of Significance:
Local
Area of Significance:
Industry
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
May 14 2021