Pendleton Cotton Mill

National Register Listing
Street Address:
250 S. Depot St., Pendleton, SC (Anderson County)
Alternate Name:
Cheney Mill

NRHP Nomination

Record Number:
S10817704025
Description and Narrative:
Built between 1903 and 1906, the Pendleton Cotton Mill is a two-story brick mill complex in the town of Pendleton in Anderson County, South Carolina. The Pendleton Cotton Mill is significant under Criterion A: Industry at the local level for its association with Anderson County’s important textile industry in the early twentieth century. Local investors Augustus John and Joseph Jeptha Sitton built the mill between 1903 and 1906, one of seventeen cotton mills operating in Anderson County during the first two decades of the twentieth century. Mill employees operated 10,000 spindles and produced cotton yarns. The Pendleton Cotton Mill is also significant under Criterion C: Architecture as one of the last remaining and best preserved examples of an early twentieth-century textile mill complex in Anderson County. The Pendleton Cotton Mill, due in part to its relatively small size and its ownership history, did not receive the kinds of expansions and additions that the other surviving mills exhibit. The two-story L-shaped form of the Pendleton Cotton Mill has been mostly unchanged since the early twentieth century, and the building retains a substantial amount of physical integrity. More than half of its original eight-over-eight double-hung wood-sash windows with eight-light transoms are intact. The building retains its low-pitched gable roof, exposed rafter tails, segmental-arch window openings, crenellated stair tower, and brick smokestack. In addition, the mill site includes a water tower, mill pond, press house, warehouse, and three hose houses that contribute to the historic integrity of the site. Listed in the National Register January 29, 2018.
Period of Significance:
1903 – 1967
Level of Significance:
Local
Area of Significance:
Industry;Architecture
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
January 29 2018

Related places
Anderson County
Pendleton