Sadler Store

National Register Listing
Street Address:
405 S. Congress Street, York, SC (York County)
Alternate Name:
Crawford's; Old Store; John's Fun

NRHP Nomination

Record Number:
Description and Narrative:
The Sadler Store, built in 1927, is a one-story wood framed, brick veneered commercial country store at 405 South Congress Street in York, South Carolina. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion A in the area of Ethnic Heritage: African American as an example of African American entrepreneurship during the era of legalized racial segregation. Business owner William Sadler built his country store in York in 1927. The Sadler Store provided future generations of William Sadler’s family opportunities for financial independence not possible for many other black South Carolinians due to the restrictions of Jim Crow segregation. Following William’s death in the 1960s, the store was operated by his eldest daughter, Mamie Sadler Crawford, who managed it until it closed in the 1970s. The small building served as a store, restaurant, and gathering place for African Americans in York, as well as a haven for black travelers in route to Charlotte or Columbia via Hwy. 321. Family remembers recall that the Sadler Store, by then known as “Crawford’s,” was well known as a friendly location by black travelers making their way through York. The Sadler Store was once centered within one of York’s primary African American residential communities and located across from Jefferson School, the main African American high school in the town. When Jefferson School integrated in 1970, it closed off a significant portion of the customer base for the store and was a contributing factor in the store’s closing. Listed in the National Register October 16, 2017.
Period of Significance:
1927 – 1970
Level of Significance:
Area of Significance:
Ethnic Heritage: Black
National Register Determination:
Date of Certification:
October 16 2017

Related places
York County