Arcadia Mill No. 1

National Register Listing
Street Address:
1875 Hayne St., Spartanburg vicinity (Spartanburg County)
Alternate Name:
Mayfair Mill No. 1

NRHP Nomination

Record Number:
Description and Narrative:
(Mayfair Mill No. 1) Arcadia Mill No. 1, begun in 1903 and enlarged in 1909, is significant in the area of industry for its association with the establishment and development of the textile industry in Arcadia, Spartanburg County, and the South Carolina Piedmont during the first half of the twentieth century. It is also architecturally significant as an intact example of cotton mill engineering and design at the beginning of the great boom period in the southern textile industry, from 1890 to 1920, and as one of the early South Carolina designs of J.E. Sirrine of Greenville, South Carolina. J.E. Sirrine’s company, formed in 1903, designed numerous mills in the South. Dr. Henry Arthur Ligon, a local pharmacist and banker organized the Arcadia Mill No. 1 in 1903. After the crash of 1929, financial problems caused Arcadia Mill to declare bankruptcy and go into receivership. In 1934, Mayfair Mills was organized under the leadership of Joshua L. Baily, a New York cotton agent, to buy both of the Arcadia plants. It was then that the name of the mill was changed to Mayfair Mills. The historic property is an intact industrial site with six contributing resources: the main mill, which was built in three phases (1903, 1909, and 1950); the roller shop, a two story stand alone structure, constructed in 1950; the cotton warehouse, originally a linear building, dates from 1903, and was enlarged in 1950 into its now irregular shape; a smokestack and water tower, both dating to 1903; and the 1903 railroad spur. The mill finally declared bankruptcy and was closed in 2001. Listed in the National Register September 22, 2014.
Period of Significance:
1903 – 1950;1903;1909;1950
Level of Significance:
Area of Significance:
National Register Determination:
Date of Certification:
September 22 2014