Greenville Coach Factory Blacksmith Shop

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
Coach Factory; Rene's Steakhouse
Street Address:
318 S Main St

Site Number:
2071
Control Number:
U/45/2071
Date Surveyed:
January 5 2003
Category:
Building
Construction Date:
1857
Alteration Date:
circa 1990
Historic Use:
Industry/Processing/Extraction
Current Use:
Commerce/Trade
Historic Core Shape:
Rectangular
Number of Stories:
3.5
Construction Method:
masonry
Exterior Walls Materials:
Brick
Foundation Materials:
Basement
Roof Shape:
shed
Roof Materials:
raised seam metal
Porch Width:
fa├žade
Porch Shape:
shed
National Register Determination:
contributes to listed district
Signficant Architectural Features:
3-1/2 story, brick industrial building; handmade brick and had-hewn wooden framing; dentil cornice on E side; 9/9 sash (9/6 on third story) w/wooden lintels
Alterations:
porch probably added; converted to restaurant, theater, and offices (ca. 1990)
Historical Information:
Constructed as blacksmith shop for Greenville Coach Factory. Ebenezer Gower and Thomas Cox established a wagon and carraige factory in 1835, which expanded in the 1850s and became Greenville Coach Factory when T. C. Gower and H. C. Markley joined the firm. In mid-1850s, the company employed 100 men, sold $80,000 worth of vehicles, and was considered one of the largest operations of its kind in the South. Company operated as Markley Carraige Factory until 1914, when increased autmobile ownership put the company out of business.
Source of Historical Information:
NR nomination. Greenville Daily News (June 6, 2001).
Quadrangle Name:
Greenville