east side of Palmetto Avenue, between S-5-264 and Coker Street (tax map 38-05), Denmark, SC
June 14 1982
Signficant Architectural Features:
One-story commercial building, rectangular in plan, constructed of brick laid in common bond. Two common side walls. Flat roof is enclosed bv a parapet. Facade (west elevation): appears to have been completely remodeled (brick veneer, etc.): the frontal has a central recessed entrance and plate glass display windows, which have modern metal frames. Rear (east elevation): once contained a central doorway flanked on either side by a segmental-arched window opening with simple brick hoodmold; these openings have been bricked up. Interior: retains original pressed metal ceiling and plaster walls.
altered (see descrip.) At one time, this building had a one-story porch or an awning across the facade (see Sanborns).
Former uses of this building are described as follows on the Sanborn maps of Denmark: 1908 - "Gen'l S.," 1913 - "DG & B&S," 1922 - "B&S."
Source of Historical Information:
Sanborn maps of Denmark: 1908-1931.
Denmark - City, 1980/1982
Box 14, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014