Mary Ray House
northeast corner of Beech Avenue and Pinckney Street (tax map 38-05), Denmark, SC
June 14 1982
wood frame (pine)
Signficant Architectural Features:
One-story, weatherboarded house. Hip roof with plain boxed cornice. Main rectangular part of the house features two interior side-slope chimneys, the ell attached at the north end of the rear elevation has one interior straddle-ridge chimney, and the addition on the south end of the rear has one chimney; all of the chimneys are brick. Windows are double-hung sash with 6-over-6 lights. Front (west elevation): symmetrical, ABA; central entrance, a single door and two-light transom, is between two windows; across the facade is a porch with hipped roof, turned posts, and sawn brackets. OUTBUILDINGS: One deteriorated frame garage.
altered - small addition on north side; large rear addition.
Believed to have been the first house built after the formation of the town of Denmark, the Mary Ray House was constructed ca. 1901 for Mary Kittrel Ray. Mary Ray, the widow of Samuel Boynton Ray, is reputed to have used the property as a boarding house.
Source of Historical Information:
A Beginning Survey of Historical Sites in Denmark & Vicinity (compiled in 1980); Sanborn maps of Denmark: 1922, 1931.;Julia McCrae, Denmark, S.C.
Denmark - City, 1980/1982
Box 14, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014