E. Railroad Avenue (at North Street), Bamberg, SC
Signficant Architectural Features:
1 1/2 story clapboard house, basically square in plan with an irregular 1 story rear addition. Pedimented gable roof with boxed cornice. 2 straddle ridge interior chimneys . Front: symmetrical, ABA; central entrance features transom with intersecting tracery flanked on either side by a 2 sash mullion window; large central dormer contains a mullion window with transom; a flat-roofed porch, which features Tuscan columns on high pedestals and balustrades between the pedestals and along the roofline, extends the length of the front facade. Windows are double-hung sash, with intersecting tracery in the upper sash and a single light in the lower sash.
Built in the 1880's by Drew A. Hooten, this house was sold in 1905 to W. A. Klauber. Klauber, who was in the lumber business in Branchville, remodeled the former 4-room cottage as it appears today. The property was later sold to C. J. S. Brooker, who then owned the entire block, which included the Mayflower Inn.
Source of Historical Information:
"East Railroad Avenue, Bamberg, S. C.";Margaret Lawrence, 111 Felder Street. Bamberg. S. C.
Bamberg - City, 1979-1980
Box 14, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014