Historic Property
Alternate Name:
Kirsch-Murrey Home
Street Address:
232 Midway Street (087-02-21-8), Bamberg, SC

Site Number:
Site Number:
Date Surveyed:
August 20 1979
Construction Date:
circa 1905
Historic Use:
Current Use:
Construction Method:
wood frame
Foundation Materials:
Brick Piers
Roof Materials:
Signficant Architectural Features:
2 story weatherboard house with qable roof. Windows are double-hung sash, 2/2. A 1-story porch with turned posts extends across the front facade and wraps around the left side of the house. Front: central entrance with rectangular transom and sidelights; under the center front gable is a balcony with turned posts and balusters. OUTBUILDINGS:
No major changes have been made on the exterior.
Historical Information:
The Kirsch home was probably built soon after 1905 when Mrs. E. 0. Kirsch purchased the lot from E. R. Hays. It does not appear on the Sanborn Insurance maps until 1922, but the previous maps do not include that area of town. The husband of Mrs. Kirsch, Albion Kirsch, was a merchant and ran a dry goods store on Main Street in Bamberg. Albion Kirsch was a German immigrant.
Source of Historical Information:
"Midway Street, Bamberg, S.C." by Margaret Lawrence;Margaret Lawrence, 111 Felder Street, Bamberg, S.C. 29003
Bamberg - City, 1979-1980
Archives Location:
Box 14, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014

Related place
Bamberg County