J. D. Copeland Building

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
Street Address:
119 Main Street (at corner of Main and S-5-313) 087-02-1-5, Bamberg, SC

Site Number:
Site Number:
Date Surveyed:
September 19 1979
Construction Date:
Historic Use:
Current Use:
Construction Method:
Roof Materials:
tar & gravel
Signficant Architectural Features:
1 story brick commercial building, rectangular in plan, with flat root and brick and iron front. (Iron front was made by Geo. L. Wesner & Co. Iron Works, Evansville, Ind.) Front: 3 bays with recessed central entrance; slender pilasters of eclectic design define the corners of the large plate glass windows; above the plate glass windows is a band of panes of frosted glass (4 panes per bay); the most notable feature of the front facade Is the cornice, which has rosettes, large end brackets and finials; projecting above the center of the cornice line is a sign which reads "J. D. COPELAND, 1891" and which incorporates finials and a fan motif in its design; below the cornice are 3 recessed panels. Left (S.) side and rear of the building: brick laid in common bond; below the parapet is a brick cornice which features a single course of dogtoothing. West end of the Broad St. (S-5-313) side is unpainted and much of the brickwork is in deteriorated condition; this section contains a large doorway flanked on either side by a 6/6 sash window; the doorway and the window to the right of the door feature segmental arches. OUTBUILDINGS: none
Historical Information:
3. D. Copeland operated a general store in this building from 1874 until his death in 1920. In 1892, Copeland added the steel front to the building, and afterwards, his example was followed by a number of other leading merchants.
Source of Historical Information:
"Many Years After" by D. G. Copeland, Sanborn Maps
Bamberg - City, 1979-1980
Archives Location:
Box 14, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014

Related place
Bamberg County