Roselawn (Lawton House)
State Hwy 47, 3 miles SW of Allendale, (Allendale vicinity)
1835 – 1840
Architect or Builder:
J. A. Lawton
metal over wood shingle.
Signficant Architectural Features:
Roselawn is a clapboard, 1 1/2 story raised cottage, rectangular in plan, with gabled hip roof and 3 chimneys. Front slope of the roof is broken by 3 gabled dormers; rear slope features^ dormers. A piazza with 8 square columns and balustrade extends the entire length of the front facade; originally, this piazza extended halfway down each side of the building, but through the years most of it has been enclosed. The front entrance has a single paneled door with sidelights and transom; it is flanked on either side by 2 windows. The rear elevation of the building is characterized by a central piazza which has been partially enclosed on each side. Leading up to both rear and front piazzas are balustraded single wooden stairways; at the base of each, double flights of brick steps with iron railings were added ca. 1960. Brick pillars, 9’ high, support the piazzas. Dormer windows are narrow 9/9 (except 1 rear dormer which is 6/9); main floor windows are predominantly 6/6 with louvered shutters. Interior: 4 rooms in ground floor basement, 9 rooms and central hall on main floor, and 2 rooms connected by a small landing on upper floor. Rooms on main floor have plaster walls, some with plaster moldings. Wide baseboards (up to l’), paneled doors, and high plaster ceilings characterize most of the rooms. OUTBUILDINGS:
altered (see description)
Roselawn, an example of the raised cottage style of architecture which was prevalent in the coastal SE during the first 1/2 of the 19th c.. stands out not only as an example of early 19th c. architecture, but also as a plantation which has been maintained and farmed continuously by one family throughout its entire history. Roselawn is also one of few plantation houses in the Buddenville area that was not destroyed during the Civil War. It is believed that troops under Gen. Kilpatrick camped at Roselawn. The builder of Roselawn, Rev. Joseph Alexander Lawton, was a founder and minister of Concord Baptist Church (no longer extant); Rev. Lawton also served as minister in several other churches in the area.
Source of Historical Information:
National Register nomination, prepared in 1975;Camille Sharp, Buddenville Community. Allendale. S.C 29810_
Allendale County, 1979-1980
Box 13, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014