Henry Wolff & Co. Dept. Store
Bubsie's 5 & 10₵ Store
N. Main Street, Allendale
Signficant Architectural Features:
2 story brick commercial building, rectangular in plan, with flat roof. Front: symmetrical; above the 4 second story window openings is a cornice with dentils supported at either end by a single large bracket; parapet above the cornice is visually divided into 3 parts by 3 recessed panels, the irregular profile of the coping, and by the use of a paired bracket-like motif along the top edge; second story window openings feature jack arches with prominent keystones, transoms, and 3 1/1 windows in each; string course of contrasting material forms a continuous sill for the 2nd floor windows, below which small recessed panels in the wall repeat the rhythm of the window openings above; plain cornice above the present sign band; ground level of the building has been altered and now is divided into 2 equal sections, with double glass doors in the center of each section flanked by large plate glass windows; yellow brick is used on the ground level. OUTBUILDINGS: none
ground floor has been altered - a rendering of the building on an old account form of the company suggests the original appearance of the building.
Henry Wolff and Company is said to have been the first department store on Main Street, occupying a site about a block north and across Main before moving to its new building. This building, constructed in 1910, and the one next to it on the corner (constructed ca. 1901), were used by Wolff & Co. Henry Wolff died in 1914, after which his wife, Ray P. Wolff, ran the business until her death ca. 1936. Sam Wengrow then continued the business until the 1960's.
Source of Historical Information:
Sanborn Maps of Allendale - 1910. 1922.;Henry Ray Wengrow. Kohn. McMurry & Wengrow. Columbia. S.C.
City of Allendale, 1979-1980
Box 13, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014