Gilldare Hotel, Warren Hotel
corner of N. Main and Railroad Avenue, Allendale
Signficant Architectural Features:
Said to be built of brick made at Seigling, this 2 story commercial building with flat roof has been painted. Front: asymmetrical; ground floor has been altered and presently contains 2 shops and a doorway leading to the 2nd floor; 2nd floor - AABBCBB; the 2 windows on the left end of the facade are longer and narrower than the other 4; 2nd floor doorway with double glazed doors, transom, and rectangular sidelights opens onto a wrought iron balcony that extends the length of the front elevation (most of its floor is gone); above the second floor windows are 5 recessed panels with brick corbeled brackets along their top edges; 4 chimneys (?) extend above the top edge of the front wall. Right side: window and door openings on the first floor have been filled in; a cornice visually separates the first floor from the second. Window and door openings of the second story are segmental-arched; most of the windows are rectangular, double-hung sash, 2/2; windows originally were flanked by louvered shutters. OUTBUILDINGS:
Mr. William Gill built the Gilldare Hotel in 1899, 26 years after the town of Allendale received its charter. Ca. 1923-24, the hotel was acquired by the late Thomas Warren. Since its construction, the building has been used as a hotel and as an apartment house with shops on the ground floor.
Source of Historical Information:
Allendale County Citizen, 12/6/73, p. 1; Allendale Co. Citizen, 4/23/70, p. 7; Sanborn Maps of Allendale, 1910 & 1922; The Town of Allendale by Louis Arthur Searson.
City of Allendale, 1979-1980
Box 13, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014