James L. Oswald House
Flat Street (next to Allendale Presbyterian Church), Allendale
June 25 1979
circa 1889 – 1890
Signficant Architectural Features:
Large 2-3 story clapboard house with high hip and gable roof decorated with finials. Bulky, irregular massing. Interior chimneys. Windows are predominantly double hung sash, 1/1, some with louvered shutters. A prominent element of the asymmetrical design of this building is the 3-story turret of its west corner; this turret has a domical roof with bracketed boxed cornice and its shingled 3rd story features round-arched windows. A 1-story porch with plain balustrade and slender Tuscan columns set on pedestals extends around the W. corner across the left (NW) side and about 1/3 down the front (SW side) of the house. Front (Flat street side): the main front entry area is given emphasis by a pediment, above which is a balcony with bell-cast roof and railing supported by small egg-shaped balusters (the front door, however, faces NW rather than the street); the right side of the front elevation features a 2 1/2 story gabled polygonal bay; other notable features of the SW elevation are a small stained glass window on the 1st floor, and a wheel window above on the 2nd floor. Sides: The left (NW) side of the house is characterized by a projecting attic gable; a portion of the 1-story porch on the right (SE) side of the house has been enclosed. Rear: between 1910 and 1922, a 2-story round brick section with the conical roof was added to the rear of the house. Interior: irregular plan; stairway features turned balusters supporting the railing and a newel post with elaborate cap; simple low relief molding around doors and windows; doors have 5 rectangular panels; oak Victorian mantels. OUTBUILDINGS:
House has recently undergone rehab. Recent changes include addition of a garage, renovation of 3rd floor (previously used for storage), plaster walls covered with sheet rock, glass in transoms over interior doors changed to wood, etc.
An excellent local example of the Queen Anne style of architecture, this house was built by James Lawton Oswald (1860-1942). Jim Oswald not only was a prominent planter of this area, but in addition ran a prosperous general mercantile business in Allendale. Oswald was a member of the original Board of Commissioners for Allendale County.
Source of Historical Information:
Henry Laffitte, Gus Farmer; 1910, 1922. Sanborn Maps; Allendale on the Savannah, p. 209, 210, 213-214; The Town of Allendale by L. A. Searson, p. 23, 33, 41.
City of Allendale, 1979-1980
Box 13, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014