Beech Island Presbyterian Church

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
All Saints Episcopal Church
Street Address:
Beech Island vicinity, NW corner of int. of US 278 & SC 580 (Aiken County)

Site Number:
Site Number:
Date Surveyed:
April 15 1986 at 19:00
Construction Date:
circa 1836
Historic Use:
Current Use:
Construction Method:
Foundation Materials:
Brick Piers
Roof Materials:
"V"crimped metal
Signficant Architectural Features:
1 story frame church bldg; 3 bays wide (W-E-W), 4 bays deep; front facing pedimented gable "V" crimped metal roof projecting over entry portico w/4 stuccoed brick columns; 12/12 windows w/arched louvered transoms & wooden blinds; louvered shutters; flush board siding inside the portico; entrance has entablature surround w/paired entry door; wood weatherbd. siding; brick pier fndtn; 1 story 1 by 2 bay addn to rear of recent construction (1970's). OUTBUILDINGS: Aux. bldg. (Site 6.001)
New entry door
Historical Information:
Congregation organized as Beech Island Presbyterian Church ca. 1825; present sanctuary constructed in 1836, building purchased by All Saints Episcopal Mission in 1955; Historic marker reads: "This church was built in 1836, by the Beech Island Pres. Church, organized in 1827 w/the Rev. Nathan H. Hoyt, of Ramat, as 1st pastor. His son-in law, the Rev. Edward Axson, was ordained & served here. His daughter Ellen, wife of Woodrow Wilson, was baptized here in 1850. The bldg was consecrated as All Saints Episc. Church.
Source of Historical Information:
MacDowell. ÔÇťAiken Scrapbk", Vol. 2; p. 36; North Augusta Historical Society, "History of North Augusta", p. 67
Aiken County Survey (Western Portion), 1986
Archives Location:
Box 12, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014

Related place
Aiken County