Schroder House Site
117 Greenville Street (map 30-027, block 5, lot 2), Aiken, SC
Vacant/Not In Use
Signficant Architectural Features:
L-shaped weatherboard house set on a raised brick basement. 2 large interior chimneys are visible from street. Front: symmetrical, 3 bays; central door with sidelights on 2nd (main) floor is flanked on either side by double hung windows (4/4) with sidelights and shutters; ground floor windows are 6/6 with no shutters; a porch extends across fron on main floor and is supported by 4 square brick piers covered with stucco. Interior: main body of the house - central hall plan, with 2 rooms on either side of the hall.
" Built in the 1950's by John Marjenhoff, the first official document pertaining to the sale of the house is dated 1862. The house was again sold in 1871 to V. A. Lythgoe and remained in that family until the 189O's. A family of German immigrants, the Schroders bought the house at the turn of the century. Descendants of the Schroders lived in the house until the early 1970's when Juanita Schroder died. Most recently the house was owned by a private corporation which gave the house to the Historic Aiken Foundation only if the house were moved. The expense of moving the old house and buying a new lot to put it on deterred several who wished to save the home. Time and vandalism had already robbed the home of many of its qualities." ("The Schroder House is Razed; One of a Kind House is Gone" Aiken Standard article by Sarah Caskey -p8A, Oct. 27, 1980.) The Schroder House was probably the only remaining raised cottage in the city of Aiken.
Source of Historical Information:
Aiken Standard (1978 - short articles), "The Schroder House is Razed; One of A Kind House is Gone" by Sarah Caskey -article in Aiken Standard, p. 8A, October 27, 1980.;Olivia Garvin, Aiken, S.C.
Aiken - City - Winter Colony Historic Districts Survey, 1982
Box 11, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014