Geddings Cushman House
Park Avenue SE & Marion St. SE, Aiken, SC (Aiken County)
January 5 2010
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
Brick Piers with Fill
National Register Determination:
contributes to eligible district;
Signficant Architectural Features:
Single 2/2 (typically) windows; Classical entablature w/dentils; pedimented gables project from side elevs; Ionic Columned portico w/pedimented gable; fanlight w/in pediment of portico; corbelled brick chimneys w/in surface of roof (4); transom over entrance to porch on 1st & 2nd floors; shrubbery picturesquely grouped around house with formal gateposts marking entrance to sidewalk to house and drive; 2 outbuildings (1 appears historic). Prev. SHPO No 0380
Pier foundation infill, porch alteration (addition of porte cochere), small rear, gabled addition - by 1950; synthetic (vinyl) siding applied and metal handrail to porch roof - 1990s
Built for Geddings Cushman, brother of Edward Cushman (No. 1644) and Mamie Cushman Dukes (No. 1645). Cushman family has been present in Aiken area since 1785 and these 3 sites were built south of the railway line at approximately the same time.
Source of Historical Information:
Edward Cushman, Jr., interview, May 2, 1989.
City of Aiken Historic Resources Survey, Aiken County, South Carolina. May 2010