Chancellor Carroll House

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
Street Address:
112 Gregg Ave. NW, Aiken, SC (Aiken County)

Site Number:
Control Number:
Date Surveyed:
February 4 2010
Construction Date:
circa 1855
Alteration Date:
circa 1930
Historic Use:
Current Use:
Historic Core Shape:
Architect or Builder:
Willis Irvin - 1930 c
Number of Stories:
Construction Method:
Exterior Walls Materials:
Foundation Materials:
Brick Piers with Fill
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
6 square columns along front piazza; sidelights w/transom over front entrance; sidelights w/fanlight over rear entrance; classical door surrounds; weatherboard; vernacular corner boards; vernacular window surrounds; brick pier entrance gate; carriage house w/servant cottage; reflecting pool; multiple exterior/interior chimneys. Prev. SHPO No. 564
Kitchen attached and wings added - 1930 c; Modernization of facilities - Later 20th C
Historical Information:
Constructed ca. 1855, the Chancellor Carroll House was built by James Parsons Carroll, Chancellor of South Carolina and a noted attorney. The property on which Carroll built this structure (probably as a summer residence) was purchased from William Gregg, the important textile manufacturer. During the twentieth century (the late 1920s until his death) architect Willis Irvin, who designed several noted structures in Aiken, owned the house. James P. Carroll was elected to the South Carolina House of Representatives in 1838. He served in the South Carolina Senate between 1853 and 1854 and was re-elected to that body in 1858. In 1859 he was elected Chancellor of the Court of Equity and remained in that position until 1868, when the office was abolished by the new state constitution. Carroll also served as a delegate to the Secession Convention and signed the Ordinance of Secession. This one and one-half story clapboard structure features a one-story piazza with six square columns and simple balustrades. The central section is flanked by recessed side wings which were added in the 1930s; at that time the original kitchen was adjoined to the left side, and a balancing wing added to the right side. The rear façade has a double entrance door with fanlight and sidelights. Although the Chancellor Carroll house has been altered through the years to meet the contemporary needs of its owners, the original fabric of the house has remained primarily intact. Listed in the National Register November 23, 1977.
Source of Historical Information:
“Chancellor James P. Carroll House” [Online]; available from; Internet. Accessed April 26, 2010.
City of Aiken Historic Resources Survey, Aiken County, South Carolina. May 2010
Quadrangle Name:

Related places
Aiken County