• Site Card for S108042001000130000 (Front)

Erskine Building

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
Erskine Building
Street Address:
Erskine College Quadrangle, West Main Street, Due West, SC

Date Surveyed:
August 19 1980
Construction Date:
Historic Use:
Current Use:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
Foundation Materials:
Brick;Concrete Blocks
Roof Materials:
Asphalt Shingle
Signficant Architectural Features:
3-story brick building; brick laid in all stretches; facade features central projecting pavilion w/2 wings; pavilion has 3 double door entrance w/ 6 rectangular panels each door; above doors are decorative seals (1 is State of SC Seal; 1 is seal showing palm tree); above central door is block showing dates of original & present buildings; doors, seals and 2 paned glass fanlights above are all set in round arch; flanking entrances are windows w/ 2/2 lights topped by a diagonal basket weave bond pattern which is then topped by a glass 2-paned half-circle window. All of this also within round arch; all windows have lugsills; 2nd story of pavilion features triple window in center with 1 window on each side; windows have round-arched openings and are 2/2 light w/2-light half-circle window; above this section are 2 entablatures which have a row of recessed brick arches (niches) between entablatures; dome w/metal roof tops roof of pavilion; main roof of building is hipped; 2 towers rise above the pavilion on each side of the dome; tower to left is used as an observatory and is square in shape w/dome above; clock tower to right has square shaped open base topped by octagonal-shaped portion w/clock and round-head [illegible] base of tower to left has round arch windows which have been bricked up w/diagonal basket-weave brick bind; base of clock tower has 2/2 light round-arched windows with half-circle window; facade of right wing of building has double door entrance lower story w/three 2/2 light windows 2nd story has round arched opening w/rectangular transom and half-circle window above; 3rd story has paired 2/2 light windows w/half-circle windows on top & round arched openings; left wing has 4 round-arched windows bricked up with diagonal basket-weave brick bond pattern; upper story of this wing has paired windows same as 3rd story of right wing; modern addition to right w/similar window detail; the left elevation of the building has 3 double door entrances similar to facade on lower story and 3 large round arched windows upper story; rear features double-door entrance; 4 pairs of diagonal basket weave bond round arches and four 2/2 light windows 1st story and half-circle window set in round arches on 2nd story; 3rd story rear has 6 pairs of windows like those on the upper story wing facades; emergency stairway leading to 2nd story of modern wing; paired windows in basement w/flat (jack) arches; right (NE) elevation incorporates wall of original building and has 1 double door entrance; 1 round arch w/diagonal basket weave bond pattern and windows similar to those previously described with the exception of 1 small 1/1 light rectangular window.;Outbuildings: 1 brick shed.
Historical Information:
Built to replace Main College Building which was built in 1842 and burned 1/22/1892. Present building incorporates wall of original building in northeast elevation.
Due West - City 1980-1981
Archives Location:
Box 10, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014

Related places
Due West
Abbeville County