Markley Hardware Store

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
The Smith Engineer Company; Scurry-Nixon Auto
Street Address:
322-324 S Main St

Site Number:
0493
Control Number:
U/45/0493
Date Surveyed:
November 14 2002
Category:
Building
Construction Date:
circa 1905
Alteration Date:
circa 1990
Historic Use:
Commerce/Trade
Current Use:
Commerce/Trade
Historic Core Shape:
Rectangular
Number of Stories:
2
Construction Method:
masonry
Exterior Walls Materials:
Brick
Foundation Materials:
Basement
Roof Shape:
flat
Roof Materials:
visibility
National Register Determination:
contributes to listed district
Signficant Architectural Features:
2-story, brick commercial building; basement exposed on rear; pressed brick fa├žade w/decorative banding, glazed diamond-shaped tiles, denticulated cornice, and stepped parapet; concrete coping; 6/6 windows; storefronts altered
Alterations:
renovated for offices and storefronts altered (ca. 1990)
Historical Information:
Built between 1902 and 1908 to replace the smaller hardware store and offices of the Greenville Coach Company, this building served as a retail hardware store for the Markley Carriage Factory.
Source of Historical Information:
NR nomination.
Quadrangle Name:
Greenville