58 Wallace Lodge Rd., SC (Laurens County)
October 17 2001
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
Nine over six windows on the second floor and nine over nine windows on the first floor. Transom over front door. The metal and glass weathervane may be original. Outbuildings associated with the house -- most with weatherboard siding and aluminum roofing -- include a carriage shop, well house, slave house, generator house/shed, shed, and a smoke house. The smokehouse and carriage shop have stone foundations. A blacksmith shop, wagon shed and family cemetery sit across the street. The majority of outbuildings were built 1840?s.
Vinyl siding was added on the exterior in the 1990s as were vinyl porch supports. There is a stone addition on south façade. Concrete slab front porch. Interior walls and ceilings were altered in the 1940-1949, and porches enclosed in the 1950-1959.
The house was built for William Wilkerson Wallace, a carriage maker, cabinet maker and cotton farmer. A carriage shop on the plantation grounds has some of his tools. An area to the left of the house's main façade was used for political meetings, and the Wallace Lodge, a school and Mason's Lodge, is across the street.
Source of Historical Information:
Stella Wallace, 12 November 2001