Allen Dial House
1355 secondary rd. 729 approx.1 mile S of its intersection w/ State Rte. 252, Laurens, SC (Laurens County)
October 29 2001
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
entrance bay only
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
The Allen Dial House is a rare example of a highly decorative Greek Revival raised cottage. Decorative elements include a transom and sidelights over a double front door, decorative gutters with "1856," and an elliptical fan light in the portico over the entry. All windows are four over six. An outbuilding (1853), possibly the former kitchen or residence, remains.
Owner Dr. Elias Gray did restoration work, added bathrooms, and used pine flooring from the attic as paneling in the first (basement) floor main room.
Allen Dial (1811-1894) was a farmer and physician. He was a member of the Chestnut Ridge Baptist Church, where he was buried. The original entrance to the house was through an avenue of cedar trees to the present-day rear of the house. A tornado in the 1970s or 1980-1989 destroyed several trees and possibly outbuildings. The land has been used as a sheep farm, and current owners raised cattle.
Source of Historical Information:
Property owner and NRHP nomination