419 N. Main Street, Abbeville, South Carolina (Abbeville County)
1880 – 1881
Architect or Builder:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
Signficant Architectural Features:
2-story brick (stuccoed); 1 story Italianate portico supported by square beveled posts with brackets; entrance has rectangular has transom and sidelights; double doors; turned balustrade on porch; windows have rounded arches, louvered shutters; 2/2 lights; cornice of house has decorative brackets; beltcourse between 1st and 2nd stories; rectangular bays on either side; hipped roof; upstairs window 6/6 louvered shutters; interior chimneys (stuccoed); 1 frame garage.;Interior: stained glass front transom and sidelights; beautiful cornice molding; all walnut interior; ornate mantels, plaster medallions in 2 front rooms; ceilings vary 11-15'; 14 rooms.;Built to replace earlier house, which burned 1880. All walls are brick 18" thick and extend from foundation to attic. Redwood tree in yard is registered by Clemson Agriculture Service as the oldest and largest in South Carolina. Planted by Captain J. Foster Marshall in 1849. House remains in family since construction.
Mansard roof replaced 1930's; 3rd floor used as attic now.
Abbeville - City 1981
Box 9, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014