Gibbs, Reverend John House

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
Street Address:
233 Lower Fairforest Church Rd., SC (Union County)

Site Number:
Control Number:
Date Surveyed:
December 29 2004
Construction Date:
circa 1820
Historic Use:
Current Use:
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Construction Method:
Exterior Walls Materials:
Foundation Materials:
Not Visible
Roof Shape:
gable, lateral
Roof Materials:
composition shingle
Porch Width:
full façade
Porch Shape:
National Register Determination:
not eligible;
Signficant Architectural Features:
The home has two exterior end chimneys, porches on front and rear facades, six-over-six double-hung sash windows, and one- gable ell on the west façade. The side of the home faces the road.
Historical Information:
The 276 acre tract on which the house now stands is part of a land grant of 1,000 acres given by King George II on March 3, 1731 to John Gibbs, Esq. It was passed on to his son James Gibbs of Revolutionary War fame. The house originally had one porch that faced the old Georgia Stagecoach Road, but when it was rerouted, a second, identical porch was added to the home.
Source of Historical Information:
Catawba Regional Planning Council. Historic Sites Survey, Union County. 1976. 15.
Quadrangle Name:
Union West

Related place
Union County