Greenville County Courthouse
Greenville Family Courts Building
130 S Main St
January 5 2003
1916 – 1918
Historic Core Shape:
Architect or Builder:
P. Thornton Mayre, architect; H. Olin Jones, supervising architect; J. A. Jones, contractor
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
city's 4th courthouse; Beaux-Arts influenced Classical Revival style; 2 sections: 3-story courtroom section and 7-story tower on raised basement; concrete structure w/brick veneer and terra cotta trim; courtroom section features wide marble stair, 3-bay entrance, 2-story engaged Ionic columns capped by full entablature; recessed window openings; tower section features recessed center bays, decorated cornice, and stepped parapet
Built as the fourth county courthouse, the building was designed by Beaux-Art trained Atlanta architect Phillip Thornton Mayre. Local architect H. Olin Jones supervised the project, which was constructed by J. A. Jones of Charlotte. The building consists of two distinct sections, both rendered in a dignified, well appointed Classical Revival style.
Source of Historical Information:
NR nomination. Huff 1995.