Bethune Presbyterian Church

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
Bethune Presbyterian Church
Street Address:
206 N Blackmon St

Site Number:
0963
Control Number:
U/55/0963
Tax Number:
B141-11-46
Date Surveyed:
October 24 2001
Category:
Building
Construction Date:
1905
Historic Use:
Religion
Current Use:
Religion
Historic Core Shape:
T
Number of Stories:
2
Construction Method:
masonry
Exterior Walls Materials:
Brick Veneer
Foundation Materials:
Brick
Roof Shape:
hip
Roof Materials:
composition shingle
Signficant Architectural Features:
Formal two-story enty with double door with spiderweb fanlight, columns, well-defined cornice abutted by square brick towers with circular, arched and rectangular stained glass windows and triangular parapets. Arched fixed and DHS windows throughout; curved concrete lintels. Wing on South elevation, similar construction and detailing. Carved rafter tails throughout; brick laid in running bond.
Alterations:
Sanctuary renovated in 1998.
Historical Information:
First church constructed in 1901, served 18 members. Church History notes that a petition to organize a church in Bethune was presented in Camden at the Fall meeting of Harmony Presbyterian. M.K. Yarbrough, N.A. Bethune and J.A. McLaurin were elected elders, K.J. Estridge and John A. McCaskill, Deacons. Church named in memory of Daniel Bethune (1799-1883). First church destroyed in 1904. Current church built afterwards and enlarged over time. Two manses; educational buildings constructed on church lot. See (964, 965).
Source of Historical Information:
Mrs. Magaret Trusedale Brinson
Quadrangle Name:
Bethune