Big Springs Resort
Tolbert, Bill, house
Big Springs Rd, .4 mi S of its jct w/Hwy 1
November 6 2001
Recreation & Culture
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
Brick Piers with Fill
facade and both elevations
Signficant Architectural Features:
Asbestos shingles cover 6-inch novelty (shiplap) siding. 6/6 windows. Ten hotel rooms still have door numbers. Three rooms downstairs and the remainder upstairs. Rooms have radiators and sinks - some remain. Large lobby and dining area.
Asbestos shingles - 1950s. Porch once had pedimented entry extension- now removed.
Mineral Spring is designated on Mills' Atlas (1820) as Joseph Brevard's spring. Used as bathing pool. In 1914 the Maynards founded Big Springs Resort Co. Main springs were on Kershaw Co side of Little Lynches river. Hhotel is located on East bank of river in Chesterfield County. Kersahw County residents entered property via swinging bridge (now gone). Operated through 1948.
Source of Historical Information:
Bill Tolbert current owner. "A Guide to Selected Historical Sites in Kershaw County"