Flat Rock Rd, .5mi S of jct with Sunny Hill Rd intersection
November 7 2001
National Register Determination:
listed;National Historic Landmark
Signficant Architectural Features:
There are no extant structures affiliated with the resource. There are two historic markers erected on the site, one from 1909 (erected by the D.A.R.) and one from the National Park Service 1961.
The site was originally a field. Due to multiple current owners, a large portion of the existing site is currently in use as a timber farm.
The battle of Camden was fought on August 16, 1780, and is symbolic of the series of setbacks suffered by the American colonials. General Horatio Gates led the American force of 4100 men and Lord Cornwallis led the British Force of 2200. Gates' army was hungry, exhausted and in Loyalist territory when at 2:00 am the two forces collided and battle later ensued. Gates' militia turned and fled early, leaving General Baron de Kalb to lead the 900 seasoned continental soldiers, who were quickly defeated.
Source of Historical Information:
1961 National Historic Landmark Nomination form