Charles Craft Plant
2948 Faithful Road;(Dillon County)
September 2 2008
Historic Core Shape:
Architect or Builder:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
brackets under roof line, brick tower & smoke stack, enclosed windows w/brick arches
concrete addition on NW side, additions on side
Hamer Cotton Mills were incorporated on June 10, 1903 with the capital stock of $100,000. The shareholders named in the charter were RP Hamer Jr., W.M. Hamer, D.M. Carmicheal, and Allen Edens. On May 27, 1911, the Hamer Plant was combined with Maple and Dillon plants under the name of Dillon Mills. After the central company was formed, each plant operated under its original name, even after 1924 when the Carolina Textile Corporation purchased the entire combination.
Charles Craft was a Laurinburg, N.C. based textile company that operated in both North and South Carolina beginning in 1967.
Source of Historical Information:
Stokes- The History of Dillon County, South Carolina