NE corner of int. of Lisbon Rd. and Roper Rd.
January 21 2003
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
The home has six-over-six windows, paired exterior end chimneys, central entry with sidelights and transom, double porch with identical entry above the main entry leading onto the porch, and front-facing gable in the center of the main façade with small window.
Asbestos shingles have been added to the exterior.
The home was constructed ca. 1828 by Dr. John Nickels, a prominent and wealthy figure in the Lisbon Community. An 1850 inventory of the estate showed the property included 2,425 acres and 78 slaves. The family was instrumental in forming the Lisbon Presbyterian Church which sits near the home. The home was sold to Mr. Charles L. Milam in the 1920s. Mr. Milam represented Laurens County in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1937-1956.
Source of Historical Information:
National Register Nomination, Nickels-Milam House, record on file at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.