New Mt. Grove School
St. Rte. 86, N side, approximately 1 mi. E of int. w/ Interstate 85/US 29;(Anderson County)
June 6 2002
Vacant/Not In Use
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
pressed metal shingle
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
The building has a recessed entry, rectangular vents in its gable ends which have a cornice return. There is one interior chimney. Remnants of red paint remain on the exterior.
The front steps are missing, and the windows are covered. Electricity was installed at some point.
The ruins of the New Mount Grove Church and a few graves are adjacent to the house. The school district plans to move the building to a location in Williamston. Both were located in the former community of Simpsonville, named for the family who owned the property on which the building stands.
The school and church are noted as African-American institutions on the 1937 South Carolina Highway map.
Source of Historical Information:
Jonathan Fowler and C. Preston Cooley, Williamston Area Historical Commission; South Carolina State Highway Department, "General Highway and Transportation Map," 1937.