Gossett Elementary School
Williamston Recreation Center
Gossett Dr., W side, at int. w/ Williams St.;(Anderson County)
May 23 2002
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
raised seam metal
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
The building has a recessed entry on the main façade with an arched, stone door surround. A parapet over the doorway has a stone name plate and stone cap. There are four interior chimneys, and brackets under the eaves. Stone lintels connect the double, eight over eight windows with multi-pane transoms.
Some windows are covered with boards.
The Gossett School began as a two-room first grade on the grounds of the Gossett Baptist Church for Williamston Mill children. The mill built the Gossett Elementary School in 1923, when it offered classes for mill children from the first through the fourth grades. Gossett served all white Williamston children in the first and second grades from the mid-1940s until 1952 when the towns of Williamston and Pelzer were consolidated into one school district. In 1955, the building became the Williamston Recreation Center and a swimming pool was constructed in the front grounds (now filled). The building is currently used by the city as a storage facility.
Source of Historical Information:
Gene Welborn, "A Town Springs Forth: The Story of Williamston, South Carolina." Bountiful, UT: Family History Publishers, 2000, pp. 94-95; C. Preston Cooley and Jonathan Fowler, Williamston Area Historical Commission, interview, 1 February 2002.