Griffin, W. W., House
NE corner of E. Main and Oak Sts.;(Anderson County)
May 23 2002
circa 1900 – 1910
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
entrance bay only
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
The house has Neoclassical design elements with its two-story porch with massive Tuscan columns and large brackets on the porch roofline. The double door main entry is flanked by multi-pane sidelights and a multi-pane transom. The house also has a side porch with a flat roof and Tuscan columns. The dormer over the main entry has a Palladian window. The windows are paired and have single panes. There is one interior and one exterior chimney.
There is a small addition to the rear of the house. The porch foundation is stone with raised mortar.
The house was owned by W. W. Griffin, a druggist, and later by his son Roy Griffin, also a druggist.
Source of Historical Information:
Gene Welborn, "A Town Springs Forth: The Story of Williamston, South Carolina." Bountiful, UT: Family History Publishers, 2000, p. 255.