Wigington House and Store / Newel PO
3311 SR 86;(Anderson County)
May 30 2002
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
raised seam metal
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
The house has two brick end chimneys, both covered in stucco. One has an inscription, "1871." The main entry has multi-pane doors flanked by sidelights. The two-story porch is supported by four large square columns with dental molding around their tops. There is a two to three foot frieze around the porch roofline with vertical boards. The house has six over one paned windows. Across the street is a rectangular framed building with a brick pier foundation, rear gable roof addition, weatherboard exterior, and front gable roof with a deep cornice return. There are at least seven outbuildings adjacent to the house and rectangular building, with raised seam metal roofing, and metal and weatherboard exteriors.
The house has a small addition to the left side with a cement block foundation and asbestos shingle exterior.
The complex is a Century Farm and is owned by the Wigington family.
The complex appears on 1877 and 1897 county maps as the Wigington house, with the J. T. Wigington house, store and Newel Post Office across the street.
Source of Historical Information:
plaque on barn; S. M. Pegg, "General Descriptive Map of Anderson County, S. C.," New York: Charles Hart, 1877; J. H. Von Hasseln, "Map of Anderson County, South Carolina," Anderson, SC: J. H. Von Hasseln, 1897.