Union High School / Rocky River Baptist Association
202 Union High Dr.;(Anderson County)
May 21 2002
circa 1910 – 1930
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
The building the a large four-square shape with exposed rafter tails along the roofline. There is a side entrance on the NE façade.
The windows and main entry have been replaced. No chimneys are extant.
Dr. Harrison Watkins, a member of the Rocky River Baptist Association, founded Union School for black students in 1880. This building served as a classroom and dormitory for Union High School, which was open from 1917 to 1937, and was built on a property that included 23 acres and an elementary school. Enrollment in the school exceeded two hundred students from Anderson, Greenville, Belton and its surrounding area. The school closed after the main building burned in the late 1930s. Restoration work to the building was completed in the early 1990s. The building also served as the headquarters for the Rocky River Baptist Association.
Source of Historical Information:
Plaque in front of building, dedicated in 1991; Gwendolyn Elease Anderson, "Profiles of Black Folks in Anderson County," Spartanburg: The Reprint Co., 1993.