Poore House or Lewis, Berry, House?
SR 20, E side, approx.2/3 mi. N of int. w/ Calhoun Rd.;(Anderson County)
May 8 2002
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
The house has a side gable wing off the rear with a semi-circular vent and cornice end return. The main entry is flanked by sidelights and a transom. There are two large composite chimneys on each end with decorative caps. The porch supports are slightly tapered wood columns. The windows are nine over six and six over six panes. There is a large barn to the left rear of house.
There is a large ell addition to the left side with a brick pier foundation. The side porch has been enclosed, and there is a metal awning off the porch roof.
"This was the plantation home of Berry Lewis, Belton's first postmaster."
Family originally had 1300 acres. 1088 and 1089 are former tenant houses associated with this house.
Source of Historical Information:
"A Survey of Historic Places in the South Carolina Appalachian Region," South Carolina Council of Governments, Revised edition of 1972 survey, South Carolina Department of Archives and History, nd.; resident