Cook, W. Pringle and Ella McGee, House
100 Cook St.;(Anderson County)
April 8 2002
circa 1880 – 1890
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
The home is a two-story L-shaped frame residence with Queen Anne detailing. There is a front-projecting gable wing in the center of the main façade with a two-story façade porch supported by large square wood columns with a simple wood balustrade. The front gable contains decorative shingles and spindlework detailing. The SW side has a two-story porch with entry doors that have sidelights and transoms. The first and second story entry doors on the main façade have a sidelight to the right of the entryway. The house has one interior chimney, and a filled brick pier foundation. The exterior is covered in aluminum siding.
Built by W. Pringle Cook between 1880 and 1890, and later lived in by their son and his wife, Alfred and Mary Campbell Cook, and is currently owned by their granddaughter, Marguerite Cook Pruitt. The house is thought to be the oldest in Iva.
Source of Historical Information:
REVIVA, "Around Iva," Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing Co., 2000.